Parents dispute suicide, sue hotel
The parents of a 30-year-old man found dead from carbon monoxide poisoning in a hotel in Tongzhou district have sued the hotel manager, demanding compensation of 1.26 million yuan ($197,000). The deceased, surnamed Fan, checked into the hotel on April 21 last year. His body was found the next day beside a basin of burned charcoal, two empty beers and a bottle of pills. The windows, doors and ventilation ducts in the room had been sealed with tape. The manager said Fan intended to commit suicide, but Fan’s parents maintained their son meant to heat up the room because the heater was off on a day when the temperature was just 10 C. The case was heard by a court on June 11 and a verdict is pending.